L is for . . .
Did you really think we’d choose anything else for L? Libraries are amazing places (if we do say so ourselves) – and not just our libraries, all libraries! We want nothing more than to serve our communities as best as we can in as many ways as we can. So, with that in mind, today we want to show how libraries are more - much, much more - than just buildings with books in them…
I bet you can’t name them all
Let’s start off with what our libraries can offer you. We have many, and I mean many services. I bet you anything you like that you don’t know them all – you probably don’t even know half of them! So, hopefully today you’ll come across something new that makes you go, ‘wow, I didn’t know they did that!’
Get your scrolling finger ready – there’s a lot of them…
Our Online Catalogue
Browse through our entire collection, from books that sit in our physical libraries, to online only eBooks and resources, in our online catalogues. You can access these easily through the Devon Libraries & Torbay Libraries. Simply log in using your borrower number and pin.
Our digital library of resources
You can access all the below through the Devon Libraries and Torbay Libraries websites (please note, Devon and Torbay Libraries may offer slight variations on resources available).
· Libby – the app version of Overdrive
· Naxos Music Library - The entire Naxos catalogue of classical music, available to listen to online
And there’s more!
Please be mindful that this article has been written during a national lockdown, so some of these resources may not be currently up and running. Keep an eye on our social media for the latest updates.
· Work Clubs – free drop-in service supporting job seekers to maximise their opportunities for the future
· FabLab - a small-scale workshop offering digital fabrication, based in Exeter and Barnstaple Libraries
· Business and IP Centre (BIPC) - provides support to business owners, entrepreneurs and inventors
· Evolve – you’re currently on the Evolve website, but maybe you’ve never heard of it before! Evolve is an imaginative programme of events and artworks within Devon’s libraries, delivered by us, in partnership with artists and communities and funded by Arts Council England
· Good Neighbour scheme – collect books on behalf of someone else who cannot get to the library
· Mobile Libraries – serving rural communities in Devon
· Events and activities – most of our events have moved online! Check your local library’s social media for up to date events info
· Book Track/ Book Quest reading scheme – read 100 books and collect certificates!
· Book Start - offers the gift of free books to all children at two key ages before they start school, to inspire a love of reading that will give children a flying start in life.
· Clubs (Code clubs, Lego clubs and reading clubs – find out what’s on at your local library)
· Events and activities – Story times, Bounce & Rhymes and more
· Summer and Winter Reading Challenge – join in with this fun reading scheme and collect certificates and rewards along the way
And you know what?!
There’s actually still more, but we don’t want to wear you out.
Have a good rummage around Devon Libraries and Torbay Libraries websites to find out everything we have on offer.
Looking to stay active and entertained during lockdown? Libraries Connected have created a fabulous list of the best and brightest library offers across the country, from Rhyme Times and Lego Clubs to podcasts, reading groups and E-Festivals.
We’ve made the list for our fab Bounce & Rhymes, and the Libraries Unlimited Podcast
Take a look at their ‘Libraries From Home’ project.
Big it up for our volunteers
We wanted to take a moment to give a little love to our library volunteers. From delivering books to vulnerable customers to running Bounce and Rhymes, our volunteers take on all sorts of jobs and blimey, don’t they do it fantastically well?
They are all amazing, so here’s a virtual round of applause for them!
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, contact your local library to find out what volunteering opportunities they have available.
Keeping in touch during lockdown
We miss you when our doors are closed, just as much, if not more, than you miss us.
But did you know that our library staff (as well as some of our Home Library Service volunteers) have been keeping in touch with customers throughout lockdown by phone? And no, we don’t just mean about your loans or reservations. They’ve been calling and checking in with customers who are vulnerable, isolated or experience loneliness, just for a little chat to see how they’re doing. So, if you or someone you know would like to hear from one our friendly library team, get in touch with your local library by phone or email.
Most of our library staff are working from home right now, so if you cannot get through to the library team via phone you can call the Customer Service Centre on 0345 155 1001. They will forward your contact details to your local library team, who will then call you back.
All this sounds great – where do I sign up?
Chances are that if you’re reading this then you’re already a member of our libraries.
However, if you’re not but you’re now thinking ‘why aren’t I member, again?’ here’s how you can sign up.
It’s easy to sign up as a library member online, and you can take advantage of all our digital services (as well as services like Choose & Collect once it’s back up and running again) straight away after signing up.
Simply head to this page to sign up to
Devon Libraries: Join the library
Torbay Libraries: Join our library
Or, if you’re on the home page of the website, click ‘not a member?’ on the right-hand side (as seen below)
Choose your local library from the dropdown list and then fill in your details to create an account. If you’d like to stay up to date with our latest news and information - including covid-19 updates - through our monthly e-newsletter, select ‘yes’ from the marketing drop down menu (we promise we won’t bombard you with emails).
You’ll then be asked to create a memorable four-digit PIN number – make sure it’s memorable, as you’ll need it to log into the online catalogues, as well as some of our associated apps like BorrowBox.
At the end of this process, you will be given a temporary borrower number (prefixed UNREG) to use with your chosen PIN. Make sure to make a note of your number, as you will need it to log back in and start using all our brilliant digital facilities.
And voilà! You’re all set up. Your temporary borrower number and PIN will enable you to access our digital library immediately.
Once our libraries reopen again, we’ll be processing memberships that were registered during the closure period. Once it’s reopened, you can pop into your local library and they will issue you with a permanent borrower number and a shiny new membership card.
If you need to find your borrower number again, simply click ‘my profile’ in the ‘my account’ menu (as seen below)…
From there, click ‘show’ next to ‘Registered account at Devon/Torbay Libraries’ and it will show you the details of your registration, including your borrower number.